Thursday 21 January 2010

Just Another Day.


Hello all my lovelies,

I do hope your all well warm and comfortable,
I am freezing and have whacked up the heating, Francis (with an i) is frowning at me, as he says the house is nearly the temperature of the sun. Do I care no, 'cos I am cold!!!!!!! and moody tonight.
Misty is sitting on the dinning room table with her head in a porridge bowl. I really should stop her, but it's not everyday you see a porridge eating cat sitting on your dinning table and it amuses me.

I've had a row with my Callum, it doesn't happen that we row often, but this one has been brewing. Bloody kids can't live with them, can't clot him as he's now 6ft 4in and I would have to jump up to reach his ear.
I know what his problem is...his mother didn't smack him enough, for long enough and hard enough when he was smaller.........oh darn I knew I was doing something wrong when I raised him.
We'll be alright, but right now we are skirting around each other, it's just one of those teen/parent rows. But having been through this twice already I know we will be fine. Both need to calm down and talk tomorrow.

In a way I have never really minded to kids having rows with me. I am a very strong person and a stubborn streak, I can be opinionated and I'll never back down if I believe I am 100% right. I will apologise if I am in the wrong, I strongly feel that you should if you are wrong and put things right. No one should be too big to say "I was wrong" or "Sorry".
There are certain morals, standards and beliefs that I demand the kids adhere to, but other than that I am a rather relaxed and informal parent. They just better not cross a line or I will unleash hell on them. And because I know this about myself I can't help but admire them when they do row with me. I mean part of me would like to slap the hell out of them (I don't by the way) and the other half of me is laughing and saying "you go kid, if you can stand up to me, you'll be fine in life at fighting your own corner."

I don't believe in rowing for the sake of it, but I won't run away from them when they come my way. Having spent the better part of 30 years on building sites, being the only female there and being the youngest of 13 and the only girl, standing my ground has never been a problem and in many ways I can recognise myself in the kids when we do row and I admire them for it. Just not going to let on to them that I do. Well come on......they out number me 3 to 1. Besides some one just has to be the boss and I don't do orders well.

Which reminds me did I ever tell you about the time I joined the Army? No! Here's the short version........

At 16 I joined the Army much to my poor mothers horror, but she signed the paperwork.
I arrived at the camp at 10am, by 12 noon I wanted out.
All those people shouting at me and me not being allowed to shout back.
Don't get me started on how unfashionable the uniform is!!!!!!!
Unfortunately I had to stay for 6weeks, I was so much trouble and even tried to get the other girls to go on strike, till they stopped shouting at us.
They let me go home by the 8th day.

There is still the family joke that I joined the Army and tried form a Union. It goes......

"Our Lia, the only woman to join the Army, moan about the lack of fashion sense in the uniform, refuse to take orders, tell them not to shout at her and try to form a Union and all on the first day"

It is always meet by raucous laughter and much mickey taking by the family, which normally ends with some one asking me when am I planning to take over the World, as if I'm going to tell that lot, they'll be the first to go, for crimes against my teenage rebellious self and 30years of laughing at me about it.....lol
See I told you I was opinionated with a stubborn streak. Oh and I still think the uniform sucks!!

Much love
Lia
xx

5 comments:

  1. Glad to read that I'm not the only one who still has verbal disagreements with their sons. Once, Eric went a week without talking to me. Best week ever ;o)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have no problem visualizing you as that 16 year old, encouraging the others to strike with you. *laughing* NONE!
    And I don't worry about you or your children not being able to 'holdtheirown'.
    I'm pretty darn convinced the apple doesn't fall far from the tree--or as the girl says to me "Oh, I AM my mother's daughter" LOL Very, very true........bless her rebellious, defiant, wave makin' heart!

    ReplyDelete
  3. My son and I often get on each other's nerves but then at times we have the best of fun. I can't wait until March when we go on vacation in Florida on the gulf coast. We always have a blast during those ten days.

    I know you and Callum will be buddies before you know it. The tension only makes the good times more intimate.

    ReplyDelete
  4. And you wonder where your kids get it from... LOL.
    I've had my monthly row with my youngest, always worth doing as for a while he stops behaving like the lodger and behaves as someone living in the house with me till the affect wears off again!
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Funny you should say that about the uniform: I saw a girl in what must have been TA uniform yesterday and thought, 'What's a pretty girl doing in such a hideous shapeless uniform?'

    Battles with childrn always affect the parent more than the child. And as for battles with dogs ...

    ReplyDelete

Blog Widget by LinkWithin