Thursday 28 May 2009

The Alhambra.




I adore The Alhambra in Granada Andalusia.

I first discovered it through the works of Washington Irving. In case you don't know who he is, he wrote Rip Van Winkle and The Legend Of Sleepy Hollows.

What started out as a joke my Papa (Grandad) made about one of my brothers being a Rip Van Winkle, lead to a lifelong love affair with the Alhambra.

There I was in a library (you do remember libraries I hope, those big buildings with books in...oh and I don't want to hear that you don't read) when I came across the book Rip Van Winkle. I loved his writing and went on to devour his whole works, finally reading Tales of the Alhambra.

By 14yrs old, I had gone on and on so much that Papa took me to Granada to see the Alhambra.

The Alhambra, just jumped off the pages at me and thanks to Washington Irving wonderful writing, I felt that I had come home.

I took my partner there a few years back and as I had gone on so much about the place, he too felt like he knew it as well.

It is a wonder of Spain, a true beauty.

I can't wait to go back again but at the moment can only dream.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Widget by LinkWithin