Tuesday 7 July 2009

Little Known Fact



One thing that kind of surprised me in the aftermath of the 7th July 2005 bombing atrocities was the relative lack of coverage given by the media to the irony that the "bus" bomb in Tavistock Square exploded less than about 30 metres from a statue of Mahatma Ghandi. Ghandi, who probably had more to complain against Westerners about than many of the 1st- and 2nd-generation Westerners that actually murdered all the poor souls on 7/7, espoused the principles of non-violent direct action.
I went down to Tavistock Square recently to pay my respects at the memorial plaque outside the British Medical Association building where so many good people helped the first officers and paramedics on scene to look after the living, injured and dying in the charnel-house that the murderers created, and I then wandered over to the statue to ponder upon what Mr Ghandi would likely have made of that day.

I doubt he'd have been impressed. But then he too was murdered by extremists. It seems we really are doomed to repeat history


I found the above post on this blog and thought you might be interested, I'm sorry to say that the last time the writer of this blog posted was in 2008, shame really as it's an interesting blog.

I know this statue, but unlike the owner of this blog, it had never really occurred to me to link the two. I have to say here and now that the sentiment of this post is not now lost to me.

2 comments:

  1. Hi there Lia, thanks for popping into my blog and following me. You're only the second Brit that I have come across in blogland !! I will be dropping in often. XXXX

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for posting this, Lia. I followed the link. It is a shame that he(?) no longer blogs.

    That such an act of terrorism took place to close to a statue of Gandhi does seem more than a bit ironic. I wonder if the world will ever again be safe from the evil of terrorism.

    ReplyDelete

Blog Widget by LinkWithin